Use your own favorite Pie Crust recipe, or if you hate rolling out pastry (like me) ... Just go buy one of those Pet Ritz froze pie shells : ) What's important here is the filling : )
- 1 Large Egg
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (not Kosher salt)
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 Package of Berger's Cookies (They are very rich) and another great product from Baltimore (you can buy those on line as well)
- Bake your pie crust for 10 minutes (like any other pie)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Farenheit. (yes, 275 degrees Farenheit)
- Whisk, in a heatproof bowl, the first six ingredients until no yellow streaks remain.
- Whisk in heavy cream.
- Scatter in the pieces of butter.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a medium size saucepan.
- Place heatproof bowl, containing the filling ingredients, over the simmering water (the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl). Gently whisk until filling is warm to the touch. (butter will probably not be completely melted)
- When it is time to remove the pie, you will see that it still jiggles a bit in the center…that’s okay, it should do that.
- Let cool. Eat!